The purpose of Athlete of the Month is to recognize an individual for stepping up and performing over and above what they are expected to do making them eligible for nomination. The approach to preparation and training can be worthy of nomination, but the crucible is where all this training and preparation comes together to be tested – race day. Therefore the performance relative to ability (and not necessarily the result overall) on this day has to take precedence.
So, it’s been a busy January for Team T2A in both training and racing. This month we have seen the start of base training for those preparing for races in 2012, sprint races in Australia, a 70.3 in New Zealand and the Marathon and 10km races here in Dubai.
January’s decision has been made by a committee made of a few team members and is based on their ‘opinion’ of who has shown true grit and determination, consistency and willpower. It’s proved a difficult decision and the committee have debated long and hard over whom should take the title this month.
T2A ATHLETE OF THE MONTH
For his performance in 2012 Dubai Marathon
This months nominations:
1) Stuart Caunt – For his own personal triathlon tour of down under. Two solid performances following a long training build up. Stuey is an integral member of the team and works hard to achieve his results. He raced in the 70.3 in New Zealand following a three year plan – with a little sprint race thrown in a week beforehand for good measure! His faultless commitment and preparation makes Stuey an example to T2A athletes old and new.
2) Jason Metters – For finally making his comeback after 9 years and winning his AG in his debut race (and again in his final QF race and taking a National Title to boot. Impressive!).
Firstly, there was some debate on whether Jason should be eligible. However Jason is not only the Coach he’s part of the team. He trains ‘with’ the team and since he is now racing AG he can be and has been recognised as a nominee.
Jason has come from nowhere in the summer to deliver two convincing wins in AG in high level races, under a lot of pressure, from himself, his family, his team, and his Pro mates. Jason has worked very hard to come back. We have all seen him unfit having come back from Malaga and the likes in the past and by his own admission he has attempted many come backs before, but the dedication and discipline over the past months of training is a great example and inspiration to us all. He has put himself out there and stood up to be counted, yes he’s an ex-pro, but it’s the application rather than the result and that is what has been stand out regardless of level or ability.
3) Simon Kelly (Chombi) – For being out there on his own week after week doing his 180km rides SOLO! Simon has been out there a 3am braving the cold… We see his car at 4am when we roll out and still there when we roll back in 5 hours later…. Tenacity
4) Gamal Wahab – For making a late call to enter Dubai Marathon and against all odds smashing it on debut with a 3:36:16 on the back of very little marathon training. A very impressive show of character and determination. I wonder if Stitch danced down the finish chute again?
5) David Hunt – For taking 20-mins off his previous marathon time and delivering a PB of 3:15:14 in Dubai Marathon this after being dogged by a recent hamstring injury. You’d be forgiven for thinking it may have hampered his training but with a careful and patient recovery the result was an outstanding performance from Hunty.
6) Chris McVicars – For completing Dubai Marathon on debut in a very respectable time of 3:47:26. Chris is a relative newcomer to the team and is showing definite signs of improvement and has cemented this with his run. Well done Chief.
So in February we have Sri Lanka Ironman 70.3 & 50150 and Suisse Marc is taking part in the Jebel Hafeet Mountain Triathlon (who deserves a nomination just for volunteering for that particular race!!). It is recognised that Coach is best placed to make the decision on who achieves the title ‘Athlete of the Month’. As such Jason will make the call at the end of February and going forward throughout 2012